Ad data retrieval

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Fashion Faux-Pas?

The interwebs are abuzz with op-ed columns, Facebook photos, and tweets about the Egyptian political protests. Some comics as well as layfolk are adding humour to the situation, but most are attempting to be somewhat sensitive. And in the ill-timed humour department, we have this tweet from designer Kenneth Cole:


Justifiably or not, many are very upset with Mr. Cole about his usage of a political crisis to promote fashion articles that the average Egyptian cannot afford. This afternoon, he offered this apology via Facebook and removed the offending tweet

I apologize to everyone who was offended by my insensitive tweet about the situation in Egypt. I’ve dedicated my life to raising awareness about serious social issues, and in hindsight my attempt at humor regarding a nation liberating themselves against oppression was poorly timed and absolutely inappropriate.

Kenneth Cole, Chairman and Chief Creative Officer

My question to you is: do you think the apology is enough? Knowing that he went to the trouble of acquiring the corresponding bit.ly link, I think he made a very bad choice indeed. I realize that if a politician made such a statement, he'd be fried, but Kenneth Cole is not a politician. If you're looking to a fashion house or any similar enterprise for all of your intellectual needs, you're a moron. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think