Ad data retrieval

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Can YOU Find The Funny?


Some people think I am a pretty funny person . Some people even pay me to be funnier than usual whether it be for myself or charitable cause .
And then we have Heeb . ..

For those of you who don't know , Heeb is a magazine that essentially caters to baser instincts while playing to a primarily leftist Jewish audience . Their interviews and photoshoots are notoriously over-the-top and they really don't mind making fun of the same celebrities whose asses they try to kiss to attain a comedic end . Some of their stuff , or rather their writers , can be quite humourous , or at least ALMOST as funny as they think they are , and they do garner quite the readership for it .
And then we have The German Issue (issue #21 of the magazine , silly)

Going into the shoot , Roseanne is greeted by the "artist" giving a straight-armed "Seig Heil" and proceeds . Here is an excerpt :

As the “Domestic Goddess” dons the famous moustache, transforming into “Domestic Goddess Hitler,” I notice that she’s beginning to have fun. She nails the Fuehrer’s facial expressions with twisted glee, and as she takes the burnt gingerbread “Jew Cookies” out of the oven it occurs to me that Barr may be the last celebrity utterly incapable of giving a fuck—a quality theoretically easy to embody until it’s time to face the practical repercussions. “Franklin Ajae, Paul Mooney, Mort Sahl and Dick Gregory’s passings will tear my kishkas out,” Barr laments. “They gave everything they had to just tell the truth, and they couldn’t make a decent living because of the choice they made—not selling out to Hollywood.”

Now , while I realize that Heeb tries desperately to be irreverent and transgressive , I just don't find the funny here . I understand being able to satirize horrible historical figures a la Werner Klemperer in Hogan's Heroes , but this seems a tad much , particularly considering Ms. Barr's self-loathing stances . The recipe of the magazine was "The Final Solution German Chocolate Cake" (Execute with thoroughness and precision . Like the Germans would. ) And people are on FIRE about this - advertisers have pulled their support , people are complaining , and people are even cheering on Heeb for being "edgy".
what do YOU think?
Is the fact that Roseanne is Jewish (a self-professed anti-Ashkenazim , anti-Zionist Sephardi at that) an excuse for this behaviour ? And , HOW funny is it - am I simply taking too seriously a photospread published by a magazine endorsed by a rolling paper company or is there something more sinister at work here?
Find out for yourself HERE and HERE and fire your opinion back at me .

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry but I cant find anything funny about anything that happened during the holocaust. I especially dont find anything she does funny! Its just a little too over the top for my tastes. This is a lame comment but I'm having trouble expressing anything about this...I feel dirty seeing that pic!!

    ReplyDelete

Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think