Ad data retrieval

Thursday, January 13, 2011

R.I.P. Zellers

  As a Canadian, I have a deep connection to Canadian things, and Zellers stores are among them. They were bought by the Hudson's Bay Company a decade back and I figured The Bay would keep them Canadian. But alas, I was wrong.

  Target stores bought out Zellers for 1.8 billion dollars today, which means a handsome profit for American-born owner Richard Baker who bought the entire HBC for $1.1 billion 2 years ago. Target plans to sell off the majority of Zellers' assets -including leases of stores to the Wal-Mart chain- and keep 100 or so to be turned into Target locations. Wal-Mart itself bought Woolco in 1994 and shut it down. It seems a good deal for Target and for Wal-Mart, as they get to eliminate a competitor that Canadians felt drawn to.

  While it seems odd for me to wax nostalgic over something like a store, it really isn't. I'm one of those people who would go out of my way to go to a Zellers versus Wal-Mart. The first roof I ever did was on a Zellers store but most of all, it just felt better to shop somewhere local. The Zellers store here is the sole light in the dingiest area of town- it will probably not become a Target store and fade into oblivion like the Woodward's that preceded it.

Bummed.

1 comment:

  1. I am glad Zellers is leaving Port Alberni, I called their customer service line and was put on hold for almost 1/2 hour and then the person on the line was in India. HBC bragged shamelessly about being an integral part of Canadian history then outsourced. Fuck em.

    ReplyDelete

Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think