Ad data retrieval

Monday, January 24, 2011

Things That Confuse Me About Americans : The Ass Gasket



There are a number of things that the remainder of the world finds puzzling about America. Be it the flavourless chocolate, weird spellings of words, or the unusual absence of vehicles more than 5 years old, America really is different from other places. There is one thing that I notice in washrooms in America that makes me chuckle, and it is the toilet seat cover.

I assure you that nobody besides Americans understands the need to cover the seat in a layer of paper. What exactly is a layer of incredibly porous paper supposed to protect you from? Even if toilets weren't cleaner than water fountains, telephones, computers, doorhandles, taxicabs, and nearly everything else that exists the toilet seat cover wouldn't protect you from anything. According to The American Institute of Microbiology, nobody has ever acquired an STD from a toilet seat in the United States.  The only way your bum or legs would be dirty enough to spread disease would be if you absolutely lacked hygiene and enjoyed smearing poo on your glutes.  Plus, if the person previous to you peed on the seat, the cover will stick to your arse when you get up. 

Occasionally, an American tourist will notice the absence of seatcovers in Canadian loos and leave a telltale ring of carefully placed toilet sheets. Only Americans do this. They either sit on their makeshift ring of paranoia or squat, which results in someone screaming that they have a wet ass and alerting all that there is indeed an American in the pub. Toilet seat covers are the most obnoxious example of disposable culture and you probably won't find them in a country where people have actually owned their fedoras since the 70s

 Americans, do understand. We like you, but we don't comprehend why you are so petrified of disease and other people that you'll worry about someone else's assprint when your cholesterol is 340 and there are a million other things that will actually kill you. And we are not stupid enough to think you give out cowboy hats in the loo, although the joke is almost funny.

Thank you.

17 comments:

  1. The assholes who pee on the seat are the same assholes who squat out of fear that someone else peed on the seat. If everyone would just sit the f*** down, there wouldn't be a problem. But if you insist on squatting which results in a wet seat, have the common courtesy to wipe up your own damn mess. So infuriating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everybody has their priorities wrong in this country.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most Americans don't understand them either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And we don't understand why people from other countries enjoy getting their thighs wet with strangers' urine. I mean, I'm not one to criticize others' sexual fetishes -- hey, live and let live -- but I'm just not really feelin' this one. Still, if you enjoy the wetness of anonymous piss on your body, go for it! Love, An American.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Americans cover the seat because it s a way they can control their life. Being so concerned about living a long life, they fill their schools and shipping malls with purell - anything to fight the disease - so long as we dont have to wash our hands, no that would be too challenging. The toilet seat covers and purell are bandaids, they let the common person feel like they are doing something to be safe, healthy, good, so when they swing through McDonalds on the way home from work they don't feel bad

    ReplyDelete
  6. They're fairly common in some European airports. :shrug:

    ReplyDelete
  7. If someone *actually* peed on the sit prior to your sit, not only will you have pee on your arse, but the ass gasket.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As an American, I've never used one of these things and I don't understand why they're there either.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never actually used a seat cover... unless there wasn't any TP.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Why would the ass gasket get wet if someone peed on it? You always wipe the seat first. Once the seat is dry, it does not matter if the gasket is porous or not, nothing will go through.

    The reason why I use them is that putting my bare ass on a seat someone just had THEIR bare ass on, just feels downright nasty. Raise your hand if feeling that warm seat did not make you cringe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Do people actually sit on other people's pee, ass gasket or no? I mean. Is this like, a thing? I usually look at the seat and wipe the pee off.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Totally agree with Julia up there - squatters ruin it for everyone else, but it's a cultural thing so there's really not much you can do. I'm an American, and I'm now living in France. In my office where I work, they provide the paper toilet seat covers, but I'm assuming no one uses them, because the same old box has been sitting there for 2 years ever since I started my job. I did a quick poll of my French coworkers, and out of 6 women, only 1 admitted to sitting down on the seat (after giving it a thorough wiping). All the others are squatters. I originally was a wiper, but after hearing that, I became a squatter too. If everyone else is splashing their pee around, I don't want to sit on it!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. As an American, I wholeheartedly agree with this post. The worst part is that they leave their sissy little creation there when they are done, forcing you to actually touch their butt impression. I promise you, they are a minority.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm with Maria and Anonymous (Nov 8, 2011 09:41 AM). You'd have to be a real moron to not wipe up the piss before applying the gasket.

    OTOH, if you are content to wipe up the piss and immediately sit directly on the seat surface, then you have stronger character than I. More power to you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. If you have the luxury of your public/office toilets not having dried urine stains and poo on them, and are confident enough that the cleaners will notice and clean stains quick enough then congratulations. In the UK that's a rare luxury indeed.
    Or if you're perfectly fine with the occasional sticky residue on your buttocks then more power to you.
    Statistically the risk may be minimal but it's in our nature to feel squeamish about it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mika, I love you to death, but being an American, and a seat coverer (I actually use 2 after I wipe the seat off) I can't agree with your blog post. Working in the medical field I can promise you people are totally gross. Moreover, having to use the ladies room you have no idea how often I find a drop or two of period blood on the seat. I also spray my ass with hand sanitizer. I know far too much about pathogens to really feel any other way about this. Also, not having a dick, I find it impossible to squat without peeing all over my legs. I'm going to use toilet seats, a lot of them. And water fountains? No thank you. If I can help it I usually just wait until I'm home.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello there I am so thrilled I found your web site, I really found
    you by mistake, while I was browsing on Aol for something else, Anyways I am here now and would just like to say thanks
    a lot for a incredible post and a all round entertaining blog (I also
    love the theme/design), I don’t have time to browse it all at the minute but I have
    saved it and also included your RSS feeds, so when I
    have time I will be back to read a great deal more, Please do keep up the superb work.


    Here is my web-site :: pc

    ReplyDelete

Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think