Ad data retrieval

Monday, August 9, 2010

Ummmm...WTF?

  I look up a lot of different information, some online and some more conventionally. Occasionally, when I seek something via a search engine, I do not get the result I desire, but I keep plugging on until I hopefully find Waldo.

  Because it is generally free to use search engines, they sell advertising and it is usually involves trying to sell you something related to the content of your search. However, sometimes something truly weird appears, and this morning was one of those times.

  I was seeking an article on Y chromosome haplotypes because of a strange Twitter conversation, so I turned my browser over to ask.com . My actual search term was "Y chromosomes of Ethiopian Jews" and I did indeed find the Natural Science Academy article I was hunting for. But this was inexplicably in the advertising section of the page.


  Now I know that the ads sort of try to recycle your search into a consumer product, but I really cannot explain this one. Anybody care to attempt a guess here?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think