Ad data retrieval

Friday, August 13, 2010

Yummy Treat


   I have a natural sense of curiosity that sometimes gets my tummy into trouble. I am also fascinated with things that are very old. I've eaten the gum from many a 30 year-old pack of baseball cards with little trouble . (it just turns to cornstarch anyways)

  Anyways, while I was playing e-mail tag with a client, my mum showed me a bunch of spices and nonpareils and things that were about 50 years past their due date. These are some of the little boxes of goodies that were priced at around a dime . Apparently people buy this crap on E-Bay and I own a computer.

  Now turn your attention to the bottle in the front. They are French's Cinnamon Imperials and I have no idea how many decades older than me they are, but they are ANCIENT.

  Nowadays, they are made by Brach's and sold as candies but back in the day they were for decorating cupcakes and whatnot. .

  So I asked if I could have one. I looked at the ingredients and I'm sure that the red dye was delisted about half a century ago, but figured what the hell.

  The weird thing is- the red candy from the 50's tasted like a red cinnamon candy. It was actually quite pleasant. I snuck another one before handing the bottle back to my mum. I'm not dead yet.

  The lack of degeneration of the product kind of creeped me out. I mean, it was old enough to be my grandmother (if I was a fiery hot confectionary treat) but it was still quite tasty. It reminds me of a video I saw of a 5 year old McDonald's cheeseburger. (click here later)
  Maybe we shouldn't make products that can last 50 years without decomposing.

  Then again, I probably shouldn't stick a 50 year old anything in my mouth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think