Ad data retrieval

Monday, November 22, 2010

Happy Birthday Old Dude!


   It is this gentleman's birthday. Who is he? Well, he would be my dad, Bruce who also shares a birthday with my uncle Ralph. While I haven't seen my dad in person in 13 years, I do recall him having an odd memory of his birthday. You see, on his 12th birthday, John F. Kennedy, C.S. Lewis, and Aldous Huxley all died. Bummer.

  However, one very cool thing about Bruce is that he is responsible for about 90% of my pre-1995 musical knowledge. Amidst all our scraps and the stupid shit that he did, he could always spin a fine record. However, because I'm not a bitter person, I'd rather think of the riffs instead of the rails.

  This is a song off of a record that my dad introduced me to. Hurt is the last song on The Downward Spiral by Nine Inch Nails. It's not a happy song really. It's one about addiction, but I guess if you think about the fact that both Trent Reznor and my dad have overcome their demons, it is. The act of going from desperation to triumph through work is a rare event that must always be celebrated, and today is the perfect day.

Happy birthday Sir.

2 comments:

Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think